Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Walk


Today I decided to take a walk. I had goals for this walk but I shan't tell you them now because none of them came to fruition. Sadly, this has been a trend for the whole two days I have been abroad. Anywho.

I set out from my building and decided that, although I have an excellent sense of direction, I would stay on one sidewalk. Just walk up and down and see what I could see. Well I saw what I assumed to be a Catholic church (only Catholic churches have "Mass", right?) that was a regular, small, ol' little rectangular building behind a tremendously impressive, ancient looking facade. I'll have to take a picture when I decide to bring my camera on my little walks. I don't usually like to go walking around with my camera because it makes me feel like a tourist. I already feel as if I have the American flag branded on my forehead. Apparently I don't, though, because I was asked for directions to Elephant & Castle (I should know where this is - but I don't yet). As soon as I started talking the lady said, Oh and then just walked away. But the good news is that I wasn't attracting any attention. Or I wasn't attracting attention as a poor, lost tourist seeing as I did get whistled at. I was unaware that the wolf whistle was an international thing but it is alive and well so that is that.

I also saw a few parks on my walk and (Kegan, you'll be excited to hear it) there were quite a few people playing football. I think we all know what I mean by football. The most exciting bit was that in one of the parks (probably more but I only saw the one) there was a group of people playing football in a basketball court that was really more like an indoor soccer court that happened to have basketball hoops on either end. I'm not kidding, it was constructed with goals on either side embedded in the fencing. Huzzah for being in a country that respects the game! As I continued walking I saw a dead pigeon and quite a few live ones and then someone gave me an odd look for having a notebook out and writing all of this down. Sigh.

I went around the block (getting back to my original sidewalk, of course) and kept walking and saw about 3000 fish bars, a KFC, a McDonalds, a Dallas Chicken House (do they have chicken houses in Dallas? I doubt it) and nowhere that I wanted to stop and find a top-up card. I also did not see my dorm. Don't ask me how I did it but I did it - I misplaced my dorm. All was well though, I simply turned around on my sidewalk and walked back until I found it. I don't know how I missed it - it's a huge blue building.
The view from my window, the blue building on the left is more of my dorm.

Cheerio!

4 comments:

  1. I stumbled across your blog. when I studied in Spain, haha I felt the same way about carrying my camera around now I wish I did though. Haha I'm from Dallas and there aren't any chicken houses anywhere around here. I hope your goals came to fruition on a later walk. be well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking up on the blog and noticed the comment! I'm glad I took my camera everywhere but now I'm heartbroken because I lost my computer in transit and all of my pictures are gone... I'm going to need to really suck it up and finish the blog though before I forget everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! aw I'm sorry. Two months after I got back to the states my laptop had to be configured or something of that nature and I lost all my photos, journals, poetry I write, everything!! I'm still getting over it. yeah you should definitely do that! my sister is in Africa doing the Peace Corps she gets back in May and she kept a blog the whole two years she's there, I know she'll look back at it and enjoy reading it. hahaa sorry for rambling. Hope all is well and have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lady Jane,
    Your writing is astounding and the world is ready for you, so get sharing!
    Love Amy

    ReplyDelete