Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Have One Sock


I have one sock. I used to have two but now I have one and I don't know what's become of it's lonely mate. Therefore, I am standing in the kitchen in my Toms which are aggravating my blisters. It's difficult to discover how a British stovetop works when your feet hurt. So I'm staring dismally at the frying pan while eating a piece of toast. This puts a damper on how satisfied I felt after managing to purchase all the necessary groceries. I had compiled all the essentials of student life: cereal, pasta, pesto and brownies. It's all useless now because the darn range refuses to cooperate. I'll have cereal.

I compromised and made "porridge" (only 2 minutes to perfect porridge). It comes in Original, Apple and Blueberry, or Golden Syrup variety! Interesting, eh? I bet you're thinking, not really interesting and I do now realize that I dedicated an entire paragraph to food so I'll get to the good stuff.

Today I went back to the Thames (by tube this time) and came up on the London Bridge.

For all of you who did not know, the above picture is NOT the London Bridge.

I crossed the bridge with my pal, Jordan and then we proceeded to walk towards the Tower of London. On the way we passed St. Magnus-the-Martyr, Church of England Church, which was a gimmick because St. Magnus did not die for his faith and therefore is not a martyr. He was really executed in some political power struggle with his cousin. Tsktsk, St. Magnus Parish.
After we passed his outrageously huge monument and the church, we carried on to the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge. Tickets were outrageously expensive to get in (twenty pounds) and so in order to afford it I might have to forego foodfor a week. I desperately want to though so my history-loving side will have to reconcile with my stingy side.


By the way, this is the Tower Bridge.

The Tower of London is insanely cool for many reasons, not the least of which is that it's more than 900 years old. That's right, older than our entire country. Shazam. It's been a royal quarters, held prisoners guilty of treason and espionage (think the World Wars here) and housed a royal menagerie (other than the prisoners). This is also where they keep the Crown Jewels which are another epic part of history. The Crown Jewels is also a box-set by Queen. How about that for trivia?

Here is the whole Tower kit'n'kaboodle. The Tower was so named because of the White Tower inside the structure which was built by William the Conqueror in 1078. Although, it wasn't the White Tower then, it was just the keep. It wasn't until Henry III whitewashed the whole thing in 1240 that it became the "White" Tower.
You can sort of see it to the right of the frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment